Pages

Saturday 16 February 2013

Interpretations: Designer to Wardrobe

Recently, I bought my first-ever Kate Sylvester piece. I have admired KS designs for some time. Now I can actually fit some of her pieces, I decided to take a closer look and see how Winter 2013 stacks up for the 40+ woman. KS is a real mix of influences: retro glamour, secretary chic, tough girl... the potential for different looks is endless. As usual with these types of collections, you need to look past the 12 year-old size 4 model and work out how key pieces might fit into your own wardrobe. Here are my top five picks and how I would style them:


Nautical Top | $185 | XS - L
 
 
Avoid matchy-matchy unless you want to look like a jailbird from a 1950s movie. I wear my top with black skinny jeans and heels for an easy casual Friday look. This top would also look great teamed with a black pencil skirt, heels and a chunky necklace. Size guide: my size L is a generous NZ 14.



Shanghai Fox Collection Tee (Price and Sizing Not Yet Available)



The older I get, the more I appreciate a tee with an interesting print. I think the safest thing to do is avoid cheaper tees with some kind of image or phrase printed on them (bound to look cheap/offend someone) and go up-market. This tee is great in the above look which is exactly how I'd wear it. But if skinnies aren't your thing, try tucking this into shaped sweat pants and team with plain white sand shoes for a comfy but stylish weekend look.


Suska Skirt | $265.00 | XS - L


 
Pencil skirts are the only skirt for my boyish frame. This skirt has a bold pattern and sexy shape, but its length is still conservative enough for the office. Do as KS has done here and team this skirt with a block-colour top in a similar hue, classic pumps and minimal jewellery.


Shanghai Fox Collection Blouse (Price and Sizing Not Yet Available) 


I like the idea of sheer, floaty blouses but always end up looking twice my actual size and 20 years older. This Autumn, I'm looking for a blouse in a floaty fabric, but with tailoring. This one is in a floaty fabric but is not billowy and the sleeves and neckline keep it modern.


Shanghai Fox Collection Cardigan (Price and Sizing Not Yet Available)


See? Cardis can be sexy. It's all in the way you wear them. Modernise by choosing a shorter, fitted style in a good-quality fabric, then tuck into a pair of plain black pants or structured skirt. A little cami underneath means you can undo another button without feeling exposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment